Monday, June 15, 2009

Monday, Monday......

It's Monday, but a beautiful one at that. It's one of those picture perfect sunny, not a cloud in the sky, days when you're stuck inside an office bldg. the whole day ;-( Woe is me.....

Despite the fact that I must work I am in a rather good mood for a Monday, suprisingly. It could be because I got loads of sleep this past weekend. I stayed up late on Friday and Saturday nights and woke up LATE. The only thing I don't like about waking up real late, 11:30ish for me, is that I feel like half of my day is already gone, ya know? That sucks! But I am rested and that's always good.

I made a few salt bars over a week ago, which seem to be all the rage in our soap making forum and I never posted photos and since I want this blog to be a sort of history of my soaping hobby I'm going to post the pics of my first ever salt bar. Rather than worry about color issues I just colored it with Paprika and it turned out a nice peachy color which I'm happy with. However some parts of the soap are quite crumbly which I'm not happy with but I believe I either waited to long to cut it or I put it in the fridge instead of letting it gel. I'll have to do some more experimenting with this to figure out what went wrong. But all in all the soap came out quite nice for a first try. I'm gonna post the recipe here for anyone who is interested in giving it a go:

Sibi’s Salt Bar

Total oil weight: 2 pounds
Water as percent of oil weight: 38
Super Fat/Discount: 7

Olive oil: 16 ounces
Coconut (76 deg): 8.32 ounces
Shea Butter: 4.48 ounces
Castor Oil: 3.2 ounces

Water: 12.16 ounces
Lye - NaOH: 4.347 ounces

Add 16 ounces of salt to oils (50%). Add lye solution to oils, bring to trace and add approx. 1 Tbsp. honey. Add your favorite fragrance, and color (I used paprika for color but any soap safe coloring can be used) and put in mold. If you let it gel you will need to keep an eye on it and as soon as it gets hard cut it because if you wait too long it will crumble when you cut. Good luck!


Photobucket

No comments: