Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Lentils Anyone?

Hi everybody, hope everyone had a safe and happy July 4 holiday. I did the grilling thingy, you know, chicken and burgers on the grill, with a baked potato and corn on the cob. Every thing turned out yummy according to hubby and son so that makes me happy. I also made a homemade salsa which also came out fresh and delicious :-)

A couple of nights ago I made some Chicken Milanese and Lentils. The lentils were made my way, using my own made up recipe and they came out really good. And I honestly think that they are even better on day 2. Once all the flavors have had ample time to morph together...that's when the yumminess of it all kicks in. Not to say that day 1 is bad, just saying that day 2 is better. Anyway, with that said, I thought I'd share my Recipe with anyone out there wanting to make Lentils a little differently than their own way. These are approximate measurements since I just throw stuff in w/out measuring.

Sibi's Own Lentils

1/2 bag of Lentils
1 whole onion (finely chopped)
1/2 green pepper (finely chopped)
approx. 2 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp oregano
2 bay leaves
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
1 small can of tomato sauce
4 slices swiss cheese

Cook the Lentils in medium high heat in a pot with plenty of water until fully cooked (approximately 45 min. or so).  Keep an eye on the water because the it will keep evaporating and you'll need to add more, you don't want to burn the lentils.  After 30 minutes I usually have a taste to see if they are done.  In the meantime you are going to make a sofrito to go into the lentils.  In a frying pan place enough oil to start frying the onions, green peppers and minced garlic.  Add paprika, oregano and 2 bay leaves to the onion mixture.  Sautee until onions and green peppers are nice and soft.  When the lentils are done there should be a little water in the pot but it should not exceed the amount of lentils.  Add sofrito to the lentils and cook on medium/low heat.  Add tomato sauce, swiss cheese, salt and pepper (to taste).  Let simmer on low for approximately 15 minutes then serve.  They taste great over rice.

Optional:  If you love bacon I also make them using bacon.  I'll cook the bacon together with the onion sofrito (no need for olive oil, there's plenty of grease in the bacon) and when done, throw all of it in the lentils when lentils are done.  Happy eating!

Here's a pic of my lentils with chicken:


No comments: